13 December 2012

Christmas cards

As we have received our first holiday cards of the season (thanks for the extra effort, friends and family!), and my coworkers have been talking a lot about writing their Christmas cards, I thought I'd post about it. I say Christmas cards because in Finnish, there is not a politically correct phrase for 'Happy Holidays' or 'Holiday cards'. Finland is 90% Lutheran, 5% Orthodox, and 5% other, which has to include the other major religions and non-religions. This is the only thing in Finland that I've encountered that is not PC. Everyone I've talked to here celebrates Christmas and they don't think a thing of saying 'Hyvää Joulua' (WHO-va YO-loo-ah). Even December is called Joulukuu, or Christmas month.

Christmas cards here are different from the traditional American cards. It would be rare for someone to send a family picture, and instead the cards are often holiday-themed postcards. The mail service, Posti, runs an offer on cheaper postage for Christmas cards. If you don't have a 'No ads please' sign on your door, you receive a red envelope from the post carrier that you fill with your Christmas cards and if you give it back to the post carrier by December 13th, and you pay only € 0.60 per stamp. If you get it to them by December 17th, it is € 0.70 per stamp. Stamps are normally € 1, so it may well be worth your efforts to finish your cards early. And with the special Christmas card offer from Posti, they deliver the cards just in time for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment